american background

Monday, June 13, 2016

May 2016


USAA Family Day 

The company Lehi works for throws a huge family day on their campus. There is more food than you could ever eat, games and activities for kids, family activities, and things to see and climb in--like firetrucks and helicopters, all free! We had a blast. We ran into Tash and her family, ate some food, and then headed to the kiddo booth to let the kids get their energy out. Maverick won a little water gun kicking a soccer ball that he loved to use on us, his cousins, and (to our dismay) strangers. But it was a hot day and everyone was a good sport. It is certainly an event we will be attending each year!
Maverick playing at the kids booths
He was a shockingly good shot--especially in Lehi's ear

Clearly, he enjoyed himself
Mav and Brooklynn Fishing 
Cousin's water fight, check out that stance!
All the kiddos LOVED the bounce house. There were about 20 to choose from.
Mav & Dad exploring the fire truck

Washington Trip 

I headed to Washington with Maverick to visit the parents and do some data collection for my thesis. Maverick was pretty great on the plane--I packed a ton of books and new toys to keep him entertained. He LOVED watching the airplanes take off and the "choo choos" (luggage carts) drive around. Unfortunately, Maverick shared his pink eye with he that he had a few weeks before and one of my eyes was pretty much closed the whole time I was in Washington. But we had a ton of fun at grandma and grandpa's house! 

Watching the airplanes & "choo choos"
Maverick and I were both spoiled. Mom had saved some bubble wrap for him to play with, grandpa kept the supply of sweets (especially Hi-Chews) and food coming, and Maverick was in heaven playing with all the "grandkid" toys and playing in the yard. He also loved swinging on the swing outside with grandpa. 




Maverick shocked us all when he was "eating" smarties. If you look carefully, you will see he set all of them on their sides. Serious balance skills, kid. He was also quick to remind me 1,000 times a day, "Da a woook, mom." (Dad at work)

Mom and I had some adventures, as always. We finally filled the pots that she had bought for my wedding 4 years ago with flowers (her Mother's day present), enjoyed a Burgerville shake, spent a couple hours at the classroom, she helped me with data collection, and we laughed hysterically when trying to get Wendy's for dinner.

*Waiting in line at the drive threw for about 5 minutes. Finally our turn to order--mom drives right past the menu and order place! I hear a voice on the speaker say, "umm...mam?" as we sped right past! So we get back in the back of the line. This time--after a few gentle reminders from me where you order at--we began ordering:

Me: (relaying to mom) "One four piece chicken nugget" 
Mom: "One four piece chicken nugget."
Me: "A chicken sandwich for Dad."
Mom: "A chicken sandwich for Da...." (both of us laughing uncontrollably)
I am sure they didn't need to know that chicken sandwich was for Dad. We are certain the workers thought we were drunk. But it made for a great story. 

Maverick & grandma playing in the gym

Mother's Day Present 
These flowers were SO pretty

Maverick would request I "share" and remind me when it was "my turn!"

Despite my looking like a pirate, and mom and dad needing to go to work while I was there, I sure loved being home. It felt like a very quick trip, but we can't wait to go back next summer!
During our 3 hour layover in Las Vegas, I found an empty gate and threw/kicked a small ball around with Maverick...for about 2 of the 3 hours in hope he would sleep during the plane ride. It was a success. Maverick was quick to share the ball with others, too. At one point, he and one of the attendants of a nearby gate were throwing the ball back and forth (he was dismayed when the attendant had to go back to work).
Mav giving Grandma a welcome home hug
If you look carefully, you can see grandma's blue bathrobe disappearing around the corner--Mav had a blast chasing her around.
Enjoying the bliss of Tilamook yogurt.
Grandma & Mav
Grandpa & Mav
Success!

Idaho & Montana Trip

This time, I left sweet Maverick at home with Dad and Aunt Bobo while I headed to do my final data collection in Idaho and Montana. The Cherry family was kind enough to let me crash their place for a few days. It was so nice to see them again! They really did become an extension of our family when we were in Idaho. I was a big slacker and didn't take a ton of pictures when I was there! But I did insist Joe and Jess go on a date and Sam was so stinking cute, I took a picture or two of him. :) He loved throwing and kicking the ball around (sound familiar). I was also able to reunite my taste buds with the beloved Case de Ochoa--one of our favorite places to eat in Rexburg.

He has surprisingly accurate aim.

I was able to train a few BYU-Idaho students in how to perform functional test assessments and we drove up to Bozeman to test some older adults and then back the same day. It was a long day, but I love working with these adults! This was the 4th time I have gone up to help with testing and know many of the members of the center. They always asked about how Maverick was and were just as excited about our second boy joining us in August as I am. Katie requested (via text from Seattle) that we ate at the "hippie burrito place" so we did just that.
Fantastic group of students! And Cheri--of course! 


Saturday I was able to hang out with the Lloyd family and Rebekah before I flew back home. It is amazing how much Hudson has grown and what a little character he is. The girls  and I quickly ran into Winco so I could grab some snacks for the airplane, during which Hudson insisted on helping Taylor drive the car and almost ran into another one. Family is the best form of entertainment! Again, I was a slacker and failed to take any pictures.

Miller Visit 

Uncle Robert, Aunt Becky, and JoAnna were able to visit with us when they came to Colten's Air force graduation! Unfortunately, there was only a day and a half overlap when both of us were in our home due to my traveling, but it was great to see them! Maverick and Robert became BFFs and played constantly, sweet JoAnna was Maverick's favorite place to sit and eat (because he adored her), and Becky resembles Gina so much, she was deemed "Gigi" (a title which is not given without an immense amount of love)!



Cousin Fun 

Maverick loves spending time with his Aunt Bobo and cousins. In fact, on a daily basis he asks, "Bobo" and she and Dad are the only people he talks to on his play phone. He lights up anytime my phone rings as asks, "Bobo?" The cousins did a lot of fun things this month, but I will let the pictures speak for themselves. 
On a side note: Tash and I have found that we can score free Sees candy if we go in on Tuesday mornings/afternoons when the manager is there. After receiving Sees the first few visits, we realized we were "regulars" and could get free Sees candy on a consistent basis. Apparently, we remind him of his sister and her sister, and so we are "family." I hope it is recognized we do not take full advantage of this event--one of us usually purchases something along with a bag of a couple more pieces, and the other gets a small bag, too. He insists not to ring us up for the small bags. We are always willing and ready to pay, but man it is nice when you leave with free Sees!
Raising him right.
We do love our Sees. May I note that Maverick's bag is empty--the manager gave him one with an empty box so he didn't feel left out.
BFFs. Well, on most days.
Maverick always insists on hold both of their hands 
We decided to get the sprinkler on in the backyard and let the kids go at it!
Daredevil Brooklynn was the first to actually go through, then the boys decided it was ok, too.
Mav looks like a little linebacker here, cracks me up!
$1.31 scoops on May 31st!

Maverick, the Chatter Box 

Some of our favorite things Maverick says on a regular basis:
Pa Pak (back-pack...aka his bag of tools or lunch box)
Tah-ha (Ta-dah)
Beep (scoot over)
Pop-pops (flip flops)
Noying (annoying)
Do wan it
Wha do, Mom (What are you doing, Mom)
I miss (when playing catch)

The list could go on and on with this kid. He is starting to mimic everything we say too, which cracks us up.


1 comment:

  1. Brooklynn looks so much like Tasha which also means she looks so much like you. It's kind of creepy haha. And Mav is so stinking cute as always!

    ReplyDelete