american background

Sunday, October 7, 2018

September 2018


September has some big"firsts" for Maverick; pre-school & soccer.

 He was super pumped to go to pre-school, especially after picking out his very own backpack and lunchbox (both Star Wars). I was working early that morning, so Lehi went into to work late so he could take him (I think he was really happy and excited to do, which I found very cute). Lehi reported back that Maverick did great; he was a little nervous and timid at the door, but that was to be expected. Lincoln, on the other hand, was not a fan of the whole process. It was pretty obvious he missed his brother. When it was time to pick him up, Lehi asked if they should go get Maverick and he was very insistent that was a good idea.





Maverick's first soccer practice went great. He was lucky to have an awesome coach and a cousin on the team (Go Sharks). Lincoln watched, not so patiently, and just wanted to go play, too. He ran Maverick his water bottle during a break, completely unprompted by me. Mav ran to meet him halfway and his shoe fell off--I just happened to snap a picture to perfectly capture how he felt about that. Lincoln also insisted in being in any picture I attempted to take of Maverick.




Another big event for September was Rebekah's wedding. 

We were crazy enough to make the 20 hour dive there, but honestly the boys did so good (and man the difference between the van and Camry road-trip was amazing). Mav and Linc had a difficult time sleeping in their car seats (which is to be expected) but we powered through the night, which helped minimize the amount of stops. I also spent a small fortune on road-trip snacks which was well worth it. I taught one class in the morning & then we headed out! Lehi sent me this picture saying they were ready for the trip! (Even though they are in the wrong car). ;)
Maverick making Fruit Loop Necklaces for him & Poppi

3:00 am break to get the boys out of the car seats.\

We arrived in Utah early in the morning, had the boys play at Chick-fil-et for awhile, went through a car wash, and then headed to Ronnie's to shower & get ready for the day. We couldn't get into the B&B until later, so she was nice enough to let us crash her house for a few hours. It was short, but I promised we would spend more time together later in the week. I got to snuggle on the twins for a decent amount of time, so it was a win in my book! The boys also played super well with Cole & Dallin, which was needed for them after being in a car for so long.
Linc plugging his ears through the car wash





We shared an air B&B with Bill/Gina, Rachel's family, and Jared's family--which was so fun. All the cousins played great together and (for the most part) entertained each other; when they weren't, Uncle Matt was a great source of entertainment. Linda brought over these cute activity bags for all the kids, too which were a big hit. The first "event" was a dinner at Brick Oven Pizza, which I spent most of the time outside in the van because Lincoln was a hot mess. I think he was just beyond exhausted and done. But Maverick and Lehi enjoyed themselves!

 

The sealing was the next morning in the Provo City Center temple. It was the first time we had been on the grounds and they were beautiful. The Blue children were kind enough to watch ALL the kids so the adults could attend the sealing. Lincoln was a little reluctant (surprise, surprise) but the amazing Amanda got him to calm down and content. The sealing was perfect. I loved the sealer's message and insights he shared and were spoke to me in such a way that I found myself writing them down later that day. These were some that stood out to me:

What is the gift of the temple endowment? You are going home.

When you hit the storms of life, that will come, and you hit your knees in prayer, I hope the Savior doesn't have to say, "I am coming, you've moved away from me a bit, I am on my way" but rather "I am right here, I always have been, because you have kept your covenants."

Quoted David O McKay from a seminary teacher training; President McKay asked, "Do you want to know the first question the Savior will ask you when you meet him? He will ask, "How is the relationship with your spouse?" and the second, "how is your relationship with each of your children?""

Mentioned at the end of the sealing that in his mind he heard a ship's horn, indicating the newly wed couple was setting off on their own journey; just the two of them (and hopefully Christ was on board, too). No parents, just them. At the end of the journey, they would reach they harbor and wait for their children's ships to come, too. (There was something about that imagery, particularly our children's ships reaching harbor, just really hit home to me).



George & the boys 



I know what you are thinking, "awe, cute!" But don't be deceived. This was no kiss. He was trying to bite my nose.


After the sealing, we headed to the reception grounds to help set up. Aunt Sue brought her dog, Linus, and let the kids play with him. I am pretty sure Maverick walked/chased/played with him for at least 3 hours. He was in heaven. All of the kids seemed to thrive outside and made the most of the open space. Hudson (and subsequently Ella) collected a bunch of landscaping flags, Lincoln practically rolled in dirt, Raelyn found a wasp trap in a tree, Maverick chased bunnies & finding an old chicken bone (which he deemed a dinosaur bone)...to name a few of the momentous products of play. After people arrived, the fun didn't stop either--from dancing, to s'mores, to root beer. Maverick made himself comfortable at a table right next to the s'more supplies, with family he hardly knew, but was more then content to hang out at their table and eat all the chocolate he could get his hands on. At one point, I looked over to see his "s'more"--graham cracker alternated with chocolate in an elaborate 4 layer stack. The kid practically unhinged his jaw to eat the contraption. Lehi took the boys and I home a little early (since the both were getting irritable and grumpy) and then went back to help clean up. Maverick was sad he didn't get a slice of "the big cake" but the reconciliation was made when it came to the house we were at. Pictures say a thousand words, so here is a better summary of the day.





The next morning, I woke up early and went to a quick lunch with Alex. I texted him a couple days earlier letting him know I was in town and asked if he wanted to catch up. He told me he would make it happen--so we squeezed it in during our super quick trip. We got some awesome Kolaches in Provo and chatted. It was like no time had passed, even though it had been about 3 years since we had seen each other. (And I failed at getting a picture).

We headed up to perfect setting for pictures. Melissa worked her magic. We were at a camp area in the mountain, which made Lehi and I wish we lived close to mountains/pretty places to go outdoors as a family. I actually had to borrow Lehi's jacket for awhile; something I haven't done since leaving Idaho. There was a small stream running close to the road, which we all figured one of our children's nice dress clothes would fall victim to--and poor Hudson it was. Luckily, they had finished their individual family pictures, but man did I feel for Rachel when Taylor walked up, holding Hudson in the air, both with a nice speckling of mud on their shirts and face. They were throwing in rocks and Hudson grabbed a huge rock and was about to toss it...Taylor knew both were going to end up in the stream because of the sheer size of the rock and quickly grabbed Hudson just as he released it. The splash left both of them wearing a bit of stream sediments. The good news is they both cleaned up great! Overall, the kids did really well. I think the combination of Smarties, Zeppelin, and being able to play outside between efforts of being still & smiling helped, too.

I headed for hang out with Ronnie for a few hours afterwards. Richael was willing to watch the boys while Ronnie and I took the twins with us. We didn't have a long to-do-list, just wanted to spend time together. Naturally our first stop for a milk shake, Raspberry Cheesecake, with the runner up stop of Sees candies. Then we shopped around a little and ended with Sushi, which was so delicious. When we went to get the boys, Richael said he made them all sandwiches and somehow Maverick's disappeared rapidly, despite him talking the entire time. He said he didn't know when or how he ate it, but he did.
A day in the life of Ronnie (+2 more)



That evening, our family went to dinner with our beloved and cherished Cherry family at one of our go-to-eats in Idaho, Buffalo Wild Wings. Lincoln was a pill for the first bit--but thankfully we were outside, so we didn't disturb too many people. Eventually we got him to behave. Sam and Maverick were a little shy to start, but by the end of the night they were sitting at a table by themselves, eating Mac & Cheese (and eventually) chasing each other and Izzy around. The service was awful, the food was good, and the company was the best. Lehi spent the rest of the evening with Joe while I got the boys home and in bed. I had a lot of work to do for my online classes, so it worked out really well.We found out later that while watching a movie, Lehi fell asleep, which resulted in subsequent sleep talking. Joe said Lehi sarcastically blurted out, "Shocker, shocker, shocker."


The next morning, families slowly started to trickle out of the house. Maverick was not very keen on saying goodbye. I am not sure the next time everyone on Lehi's family will be gathered in one place! It can get tricky with everyone being in different states and expanding families. Before we headed on our long road-trip home, we watched the Eagles game with the Cherry family, just like good ol' times. I even made the famous buffalo chicken dip & had an amazing breakfast courtesy of Joe & Jess. Man we missed/miss watching football with them!



Other Momentous September Events:


Mav's First Soccer Game: He did great! We did remind him that after he throws in the ball, he can join in again and he didn't have to stay on the sidelines. So darn funny. The excitement of it all left him a little distracted, but the kid did awesome. He refused to keep his shirt tucked in, until Coach Knight told him it would help him run faster if he did. Genius.

Maverick Quotes:

"I am getting really big, Mom. Bigger than Daddy, of course."
"Lincoln can be Pikachu for Halloween, he is baby sized."

And picture dumping commences:

Mav requested we draw pictures for our FHE craft; so we drew a picture of anything & then explained how it was a blessing. Maverick's: "Tank & Honey in a dog cage (dogs at his Pre-K)
Lehi's: EAGLES


Wrestling is never ending in our house.



Finding all the puddles to jump in on a drizzly Saturday morning

Maverick called these "wishing wells" and made a wish at every. single. one.

Two boys & a candy store 

The aftermath of Lincoln's chocolate covered pretzel 

Movie night & Chewy's house. Each kid picked their very own box of candy...except Lincoln because Lehi forgot to get one; but he got a few pieces of everyone's.

RS Temple Night with these beauties! 

Lincoln putting chap-stick all over Lehi's face during Stake Conference

Lincoln got a "Mask" trick-or-treat bucket.He wasn't excited at all, ;)

From play time....

...to prayer time....

"Mom, can I give the ghost a hug?"

Mav being stubborn.



No comments:

Post a Comment