american background

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Welcome to the World, Lincoln!

The morning of August 26th, I dropped Maverick off at Mrs. Yvonne's house (for Tash to pick up about an hour later), grabbed Lehi from the house, and headed to the hospital. Our scheduled c-section time was 12:00, but we needed to be there 2 hours early, which I learned was solely for the purpose of draining a few IV's in me so I was not dehydrated before the surgery. So Lehi and I pretty much sat and chatted about how excited we were to meet our new baby boy and how much we hated waiting.

Dr. Haun came in around 12:00 to double check I was "really wanted to proceed and we were "ready to have this baby." After hoping to have a successful v-back, Dr. Haun and I scheduled a "white towel" day, where we would have a c-section if he did not make his grand appearance before then. Today was that day (1 day before his due date). Lehi and I confirmed we were ready to go and they wheeled my bed to the operating room.

Lehi had to wait outside the room while they administered the epidural. This experience was very different from the first in a few ways--the first being I did not break out in swollen, blistering, weeping rash from betadine (had no idea I was allergic to that one) and the administration itself was very different. I sat on the edge of the table and gave the large male nurse a big bear hug while bending my back and burying my head in his chest. After getting over the initial awkwardness, I tried my best to relax as the anesthesiologist did her thing (and she was amazing)! The magic of the epidural worked almost immediately as a warm sensation traveled down my belly and the length of my legs. The staff moved me from the table to the operating table with some sheet voodoo and maneuvering. Lehi came in at this point, dressed in his sexy scrubs and cap, and sat next to me.

Dr. Haun tested a few spots to make sure I felt pressure rather than pain and we were good to go! I threw up a few times (sweet Lehi held the pan next to my face for me so I could turn my head and throw up), he peeked over the sheet a few times, Dr. Haun and her assistant commented on my "awesome abs" and how good they looked, there was the tugging and pulling sensation, Dr. Haun announced she could see his head (we asked if he had hair,which he did), and then I heard sweet baby Lincoln's cry. One of the nurses instructed Lehi to take "the best picture" over the curtain which I will spare you--but essentially is a lot of blood, a cut open belly, and baby Lincoln merging from the gore like some type of battle scene. It's a pretty sweet picture though. They brought him over the curtain for me to get a peek, I cried as moms do, and then took him back to do vitals. 7 pounds and 8 oz of pure joy was added to our family at 1:15 pm, Lincoln Grant.

It took awhile to get all sewn back up--I thew up a few more times. When I first began to get nauseous again and told the anesthesiologist, she peeked over the curtain and said, "Oh yea. I can see how you would get sick from what they are doing." I just watched the nurses and staff getting baby Lincoln cleaned up and checked and felt like I was going to burst at the seams. I couldn't wait to hold that precious baby!

We were brought into a recovery room where we simply enjoyed coddling over and cuddling Lincoln for an undisturbed hour. We were so in love.

I stayed in the hospital for another 2 days and was discharged on Sunday. The 24 hour post-op liquid diet was by far the worst thing ever. The options of chicken broth or beef broth are so disappointing after not having eaten since lunch the day before. The hospital did make a decent cream of wheat though! Tasha brought Mavercick to meet his brother--bearing gifts of "Big Brother" and "Little Brother" shirts. Mav was very interested and would stand on his tip toes to get a better look. When he held him for the first time he kept saying, "He so little!" (Which is something Tasha had said a few times in the car ride over). She spoiled me with Chick-fil-let Shakes and being willing to make multiple trips to the hospital to bring Mav or pick him up to play at her house. She and Andrew were lifesavers and we were so grateful to have them close!

Lincoln and I were pretty much left alone, other than the routine check-ups. I was up and moving after 12 hours of the surgery and made it a goal to be up and moving--even if it resembled a grandma trying not to slip on ice. I was more than ready to get home and get out of the hospital when the day came! We were excited to bring Lincoln home!



No comments:

Post a Comment