american background

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Lincoln is 1 year

Lincoln is 1 year

Soo...the traditional "__ month" picture wasn't going to happen today. All of them looked something like this:
It's ok though, it does an excellent job illustrating his stubborn side.

-21 lbs(ish) 
- 2 bottom teeth--those top two ones will be through any day now
-Size 4 diapers
-12 month clothes 
-Slowly making the whole milk transition 
-Sleeps 12 hours 
-Down to one nap during the day 
-Likes to throw his arms behind his back when running, like an awkward bird preparing for flight  
-Climbing and attempting to climb on everything 
-Fairly good "real food" eater
-Nothing is sacred in accessible kitchen cabients
-Gives high-fives (most of the time)
-Says "momma mommma momma" regularly, especially when it's time for a diaper change
-Loves "cowboy Lincoln" game, especially when we are playing with Maverick
-Attempts (and sometimes succeeds) in blowing raspberries


The beginning of this month, I pulled out the 12 month tote and kept telling myself, "There is no way these are going to fit, they are too big." Then I put his (much too big, 12 month) navy and dinosaur pj's on for that night and they fit perfectly. I swear I am going to put away a load of folded laundry and he will be packing his bags for college.

He is such a busy kid (might even have a run for his money on Maverick, which is saying something). He has a sweet, loving spirit and is the perfect addition to our home. He adores Maverick and will follow him around all day long. He loves to whine when I am sitting on the couch and will proceed to climb all over me when I move to the floor. And when Maverick tries to come snuggle with me too, he will push Maverick with his head and body and ruthlessly pull hair to get him off me/out of "his spot."Lincoln loves playing "fetch" (there is just no better word for it). He sleeps like a champ (at home when you can lay him down and walk away). He has the biggest grin and contagious laugh. One of my favorite sounds is he and Maverick running around the house laughing at the top of their lungs. He recently discovered he can climb up into Maverick's toddler bed, which gives me mini heart-attacks when we are attempting to close our eyes for family prayer. The kid is fearless and a big time momma's boy (a deadly combination).

Last night, I had all sorts of sappy momma feelings, so I decided to write the remainder of this blog post to Lincoln:

On those few occasions that you need me to rock you to sleep, I silently pray that I can be a better mother, the kind I know you deserve to have. I thank Heavenly Father for you and try to adequately express how much I love you by holding you just a little tighter. I hope you will stay little for just a little longer, but I know you won't. Your older brother proved that wasn't possible when I blinked and we were celebrating his third birthday.

It's funny how the anticipation of having a second child can induce stress and feelings of inadequacy. You wonder how you are going to balance everything and give your (current) only child the attention he is used to. You think of all the changes there will be and how family dynamics are going to shift to a new, unknown realm and never be the same, and it makes you a little sad. But when you arrived, Lincoln, it was like you had been with us the whole time. All the changes and adjustments just, happened, without even realizing or thinking about it. Now, I cannot imagine or comprehend our family without you.

I know you will always be His. And I hope you know with equal certainty, you will always be mine. Be confident, be strong, be adventurous, be brave, be you, my little Lincoln. Don't forget to dream big like your Dad and work hard to get there. And please, always remember to be kinder than necessary. I officially give you permission to grow up--although you were going to do it anyways. Happy first birthday, my sweet baby boy!











No comments:

Post a Comment